Saturday, November 1, 2008

We Support Prop 8

I feel it's important to say that I support prop 8.
For the past two months I've been going door to door to discuss this proposition; this has made me reflect on my own reasons of why I feel marriage should stay between a man and a woman.

All of these points are what I personally believe. It is not my wish or intention to hurt others feelings or beliefs. I'm grateful we live in a country where we can hold beliefs and values, and that they have a say.
Upon the many reasons of why I feel it's important to keep marriage between a man and a woman, I will pick a few to discuss.

1) Marriage is not a concept that has been made by man; it's not a right that is ours to manipulate or to give to any one; marriage has been given to us by God for man and woman.

2) I feel maybe it would be best to create something for homosexual couples, instead of marriage, that can symbolize the commitment they are yearning for. I feel that part of the issue is that homosexual partners are looking at marriage and saying, "I want to make that commitment (marriage)." It's not marriage that they're seeking; it's the commitment that marriage holds. I don't feel the word "marriage," needs to be tied to the commitment they desire. The commitment they desire can be as strong as marriage in this world, but it needs to have a different name. Marriage is between a man and woman; _________ (fill in the blank) is between, man and man, and, woman and woman. I understand this concept is easier to say than to achieve; but, I don't feel redefining marriage is what we're looking for.

3) California is already a state that recognizes homosexuals and gives them the same benefits that come from marriage, with few exceptions. If necessary, let's address those exceptions, not redefine marriage.

4) If this proposition fails it will have negative influences on religion and the beliefs of others. Although it doesn't directly say in the proposition that these negative effects will happen, it's inevitable that they will. My beliefs that marriage is between a man and woman will be viewed as an intolerant hate opinion, and not an opinion that comes from my root/heart/religion.

It is said that those who vote yes on prop. 8 are intolerant and judgmental; I feel that if this proposition fails I will be judged and people will be intolerant of my beliefs. I also feel that if prop. 8 succeeds I still, will not judge or be intolerant to homosexual people.

5) This is a personal matter, I have extended family that are homosexual and I love them very much. I don't judge them or love them less because they are homosexual; I embrace them and love to hear about their lives.

Marriage is sacred to me because it has been ordained of God for man and woman. Marriage was given to us to unify and become one with our husband or wife, and to bring a family here to earth. This world would never survive with only women or only men. Marriage started at the beginning with Adam and Eve, and was given by God for them and all men and women.

I can imagine it's hard to live a life that can't obtain marriage and it must be painful, but it isn't marriage we need to redefine.

I have many more feelings and thoughts on this topic, but I felt I should keep it brief (or as brief as I could keep it).

4 comments:

maegan said...

I commend you, Sarah, for standing behind what you believe.

To add, by supporting prop 8, I support families and traditional marriages as the fundamental unit of society. Traditional marriage has been under attack for a LONG time. Its not just in opposition to homosexual marriages that I support prop 8, but to all of us and the way we are demeaning what God intended for his children.

By this I mean I oppose all misuse of the power of procreation, the "popularity" of divorce, shirking marital and parental responsibility, abandonment, selfishness, abuse, etc.

I am by no means guilt-free, but for me, supporting prop 8 supports my belief that we ALL need to try harder and strengthen our families.

Karl and Cheryl said...

Grant and Sarah,
What a wonderful family you have. Thanks for you support on this important issue.

Tamarama said...

Amen! I'm no longer a CA resident, so think of me when you're voting YES on Prop 8 today!

Deanna said...

This is a great post Sarah. I have read A LOT on Prop 8 and this is very articulate. Thank you for being true to the faith and following the prophet!